hello all

i'm having trouble understanding how to make nfs transparent.  i've got the
actual sharing of files down, but it's the permissions that are getting at
me.  there's a breakdown of what i want to have happen:

i have two computers running linux (gentoo).  a desktop (zathras), which has a
grand total of three users, and a server (alexandria), which has only one.
the server, is exporting a bunch of directories, but when i try to use them
from the desktop i run into the following problems:

i *can* create a file, but once it's created, i can't re-write to it.  this is
happening because i've got the permission bits on the directory set to "2775"
the ownership set to "root.copyleft".  and while my user belongs to group
"copyleft", the umask of my client is forcing the permissions of the new file
to 644.

what is the best way to do this?  keeping in mind that i am not the only user
that will need access to these files.

here's what i've got in my /etc/exports file:

/mnt/share/copyleft/media               zathras(rw,no_root_squash)
/mnt/share/copyleft/media/video         zathras(rw,no_root_squash)
/mnt/share/copyleft/misc                zathras(rw,no_root_squash)
/mnt/share/copyleft/software            zathras(rw,no_root_squash)

thanks ;-)

--
it must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more
doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage, than the creation of a new