One thing that is REALLY COOL about gentoo, is its inovative dependancy
based init system, where you do not have to find a place (ie a numeric
value) which is appropriate for K and S scripts.  As much as I liked
sysV style initscripts, when I first encountered then, the gentoo way,
is really supperior.  Yiu just declare your dependant services, and
gentoo will call the start script in the right place automatically after
you have run "rc-update add INITSCRIPT RUNLEVEL" to add the script to
the appropriate run level (usually just default).

You can look at any of the scripts in /etc/init.d to get the idea.  It
took me less than an hour to convert the oracle dbora init script from
my red hat partition and convert it to gentoo.  This is one part of the
gentoo system it is WORTH getting to know.  And it is not hard.

Lincoln