On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 20:05:07 -0700
"Bruce J.A. Nourish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sunday 02 February 2003 07:52 pm, Stephen Boulet wrote:
> > Can someone tell me how to edit "/etc/modules.d/aliases" to tell the
> > module loader which device I want to have use ide-scsi?
> The "module loader" (whatever that may be) has little to do with this,
> but read on.
>
> > I don't want to pass the kernel the boot option "hdc=ide-scsi" since
> > I'm already passing it the options "ide0=autotune ide1=autotune". (I
> > want to be sure that the ide channel gets the correct hdparm
> > parameters before /dev/hdc is magically transformed into a
> > non-hdparmable device.
> The hdc= line is for the ide-cdrom driver, telling it not to touch that
> drive. The only way you can avoid putting hdc= on the kernel command
> line is my making IDE CDROM support modular, and adding the following:
>
> /etc/modules.d/aliases:
> options ide-cdrom hdc=ide-scsi
>
> /etc/modules.autoload:
> ide-cdrom

With only a cdrw device and IDECD set as a module, i dont even need any
entries in in /etc/modules.conf. I load  ide-scsi, sg and sr-mod  in
/etc/modules.autoload and when i run cdrecord -scanbus i get:
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-24102M      ' '4DS7' Removable CD-ROM

I can reference the cdrw as /dev/sr0.

However i believe kernel 2.6 will have cd burning without the need for scsi
emulation.