Jozsa Kristof said:
> OK, I really feel like talking to myself, but still..
Have fun!

> facts:
> - oracle 9i wont work with glibc 2.3.1 (it worked with glibc 2.3) - one
> oracle employee confirmed that on the forums in an answer to someone -
> portage has no more glibc 2.3 ebuilds, just 2.3.1

I was unaware of any major changes from 2.3 to 2.3.1; all that was changed
were bug fixes to allow applications to run with small stack sizes. 2.3
can be put back.
> - downgrading glibc to 2.2.x brakes everything as binaries on the
> system are linked against the not-so-backward-compatible glibc 2.3

yep

> questions:
> - how do i do a proper downgrade to glibc 2.2?

Well you would have to recompile everything, this is a bootstrap situation.

> - or where do i get a glibc 2.3 ebuild from to get back our oracle
> working? - why gentoo maintainers force people and leave no choice, as
> removing essential packages like glibc 2.3 from the portage tree?

Make one yourself, copy the ebuild to glibc-2.3.ebuild, and quickly scan
the file for any 2.3.1 -> 2.3 changes needing to be done. There have been
no changes between 2.3.1 and 2.3 of any note in the ebuild. Some / All
patches may need to be removed though.

> - why the latest install snapshots contain only glibc 2.3.1 again,
> therefore making gentoo a non-oracle aware distribution?

Well it is the same with redhat 8.0/8.1. To use Oracle you need an old ish
linux distro like gentoo-1.2 or redhat advanced server. That is the pain
of using propiertry apps.
> - if they do so, will really this pile-o-shit make itself the stable
> 1.4 released within days, and gentoo people are disabled to run oracle
> 9i anymore?

Well if you want to do things by the book, only use software sanctioned by
Oracle (ie. old redhat distros) . It is not gentoo's or GNU/Linux's fault
the Oracle ppl cannot keep up and release POSIX / glibc complient binaries
or recompile for newer glibc's. (if this is false then post a glibc bug
for not being POSIX )
> - does anyone care about Oracle 9i-compatibility or read my posts at
> all?

Gentoo is 90% desktop, so I am not supprised. Even I only use Redhat /
Debian for servers. If you pay enough $$'s to use Oracle when why not use
an OS with a support contract?
> thanks for the answers in advance,

None given :-)

> ps. i could compile the glibc 2.2.5 i mentioned in my previous post
> (below) after a downgrade of gcc

Yep, the ultra new gcc defines a new keyword __thread which causes some
sources to fail to compile.

Stefan