On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:08:40AM +0100, Robert Arroyo wrote:
> > YMMV, but I almost never need to reemerge anything, so I do rm * in
> > /usr/portage/distfiles and rm -r * in /var/tmp/portage after any round
> > of updates.  It's worked for me for several years now.
> >
> And what about doing /var/tmp/portage and /usr/portage/distfiles tmpfs?
> Could it be a good idea?

You'd need a lot of swap to make sure that /var/tmp/portage didn't run out
when building things like X, KDE OOo, etc, but it might cut down on the
disk thrashing; putting /usr/portage/distfiles on tmpfs doesn't seem to
get you much - it'll only clear it on reboot after all, so you might as
well have an init script do it. Best thing might be something akin to one
of the /tmp cleaners that would remove anything not used in a couple of
days or so.

Ewan