> Well make sure acpi is turned on in your BIOS.If you also have apm set in
> the kernel config, it may be taking conrol first

I've got a new thinkpad a31 ... it supports acpi, but i didn't find anywhere in the
bios to specify that type of standard or anything.  as for apm, i have a module
compiled, just in case i *do* need some power management.

> And you need to emerge acpid to get the kernel patch.

well, acpid just provides the userspace tool i believe.  i downloaded a patch from
acpi.sf.net and patched a vanilla-sources tree myself (because the acpi-sources kernel
was doing the same thing this one was about to do).  i emerged and compiled
vanilla-sources with 'acpi' in my $USE and and all power-management kernel options
selected appropriately.

What's interesting:

ThinkBox linux # cat /proc/cpuinfo
 ... <snip> ...
flags       : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
              cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm

Note the 'acpi' output in flags.  yet still, i've never gotten anything but:

* ACPI support not compiled into the kernel

this has occurrs with prepatched kernels as well as user-patched vanilla kernels.  i
have:

# ACPI Support
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y

in .config ... i don't see what's wrong :-)
..but ultimately, the dmesg is:

ACPI: have wakeup address 0xc0001000
ACPI: RSDP (v002 IBM                        ) @ 0x000f7060
ACPI: XSDT (v001 IBM    TP-1G    00000.04160) @ 0x0ff6ee48
ACPI: FADT (v001 IBM    TP-1G    00000.04160) @ 0x0ff6ee8c
ACPI: SSDT (v001 IBM    TP-1G    00000.04160) @ 0x0ff6ef40
ACPI: ECDT (v001 IBM    TP-1G    00000.04160) @ 0x0ff79f87
ACPI: BOOT (v001 IBM    TP-1G    00000.04160) @ 0x0ff79fd8
ACPI: DSDT (v001 IBM    TP-1G    00000.04160) @ 0x00000000
ACPI: BIOS passes blacklist
ACPI: MADT not present
ACPI: Subsystem revision 20021122
 tbxface-0099 [03] Acpi_load_tables      : ACPI Tables successfully acquired
 ACPI Namespace successfully loaded at root c045c93c
 evxfevnt-0074 [04] Acpi_enable           : Transition to ACPI mode successful
 ACPI: Found ECDT
 ACPI: Could not use ECDT
 evxfevnt-0118 [06] Acpi_disable          : Transition to LEGACY mode successful
 PCI: ACPI tables contain no PCI IRQ routing entries

Any ideas and/or suggestions greatly welcome.  I'll continue searching in the mean
while.  Thank you,

lion-O

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 09:32:39AM -0500, mikepolniak wrote:
> On 00:13 Sat 08 Feb     , Brett Campbell wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > i've got a relative question; i don't know if it applies directly to this thread,
>so i may start another.  basically i was wondering if anyone is using acpi management
>with this xfree86 dpms scheme.  i've just emerged and compiled the acpi-sources, but
>when i boot the machine and it's elevating through its runlevels, i get:
> >
> > * ACPI support has not been compiled into the kernel
> >
> > i've double-checked that power management has been compiled in along with all of
>the acpi options and its counterparts.  i was wondering if anyone else has
>experienced this or may shed some light on the situation. thank you,

''Wisdom is the companion of patience''

       ,-~~-.___.
      / |  '     \

Brett Ryan Campbell
Systems Administrator, CAD Research Center
Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
http://www.cadrc.calpoly.edu/frameset_content/content_about_us.html