Did a emerge sync, and an emerge -u world to get my
system all new and shiny.  Got the /etc/config file
waring, ran etc-update.

One of my files was make.conf, which I tried to merge
with the old one to save my old settings.

Bad idea.

So, Im like, no biggie, Ill just emerge portage and it
will overwrite it with a new one. Nope.

So I delete it, and emerge portage, wont emerge
without a make.conf

So I make an empty make.conf, emerge portage, but it
doesnt overwrite with a new one.

So,  this is where it gets good.  I emerge unmerge
portage, thinking it will register that and do a clean
emerge...giving me back my make.conf.

Think aobut what I just said.  emerge unmerge portage.

Can anybody help?