On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, el lodger wrote:

> After syncing emerge -up world gives a slew of upgrades
> (mostly gnome related). I am using baselayout-1.8.6.2 and
> emerge wants to downgrade to 1.8.5.8. I read that 6.2 wasn't
> supposed to be released but no reason was given to downgrade.
> 6.2 seems to be working ok and I don't really want go through
> all those config files again. Should I downgrade?

I decided not to downgrade.  Right after gnome2.2 was released I ran a
sync the next day and it suggested that I downgrade to gnome 2.0 again.
I just waited it out and after a few days there were a few upgrades for
gnome2.2-r1.  I saw the baselayout downgrade yesterday and decided to
stay where I'm at (since I'm not having major problems).

> And if I don't what effect will this have on the other upgrades that I
> do? Also, I am using xfree-4.2.1-r2. I remember some uses had problems
> (fonts mostly) with the new 4.2.99.4 but have not read anything
> negative about it lately. Any advice on this upgrade?

All I can say is that it works for me.  I held off on the XFree betas
for quite a while before I got sick of seeing it listed when I run
emerge -up --deep world.  :)

later,
ajay