* On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 19:18:12 +1300, Tom Eastman wrote:

> This isn't exactly OT, but I was glancing through the usual slew of crap in my
> access_log and found these... can someone tell me what's going on?  I expect
> it's people trying to use my server for spamming purposes.

They tried to use your Apache as an open proxy, most likely for
spamming purposes.

> Did they succeed?  If so, how can I plug the hole?
> (I don't know what CONNECT does)

As your Apache replied with Error 405, which means  "method not
allowed", it seems that they did NOT succed.

Regards,
Jens

--
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then
you clearly don't understand the situation.