On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 12:46:49PM -0600, Henning, Brian wrote:
> Hello-
> i login as root to my gentoo machine right now with a password like all the
> other users on the machine. what i would like to do is remove the root
> password and allow another user to su in the machine. I know that user must
> be in the same group 'wheel'. what file should i edit to remove the password
> for root? are there any other things i should be concerned about?

Well, first of all I think that removing the root password is a Very
Very Bad Idea(tm).  If you only want to let another user log in as root
(other than yourself I presume) why not just let them use a password.

Things you should be concerned about are numerous.  You're talking about
allowing superuser access to your machine with NO PASSWORD.  Think about
it.

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net