It depends on how you mean "root can only be used from the machine
itself".  This has to be configured separately depending on the service
that you are running.

For example, in order to prevent root from being able to connect using
ssh, you should look for the PermitRootLogin directive in your
/etc/ssh/sshd_config file and set it to no.

P.S. Sorry Keith for the double reply.  I meant to reply to list.