-- Eric Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake thusly:

> I have asked on IRC, and gotten different
> (contradictory) answers.
>
> I am behind a firewall.  Exactly which ports do I need
> to have open to use emerge?

For doing 'emerge sync', you need 873 (this info is available in 'man
rsync').

For downloading packages, it depends on your mirrors, but you'll
probably need at least port 80 for HTTP. If you've got FTP mirrors,
you'll need port 21, and of course you'll have to be using passive mode
(enabled by default in make.globals) and you need a firewall that
supports allowing the connection to whatever port the ftp server
declares.

These are all outgoing, of course.