hello all.

I've got a laptop that I just installed gentoo 1.4_Rc2 on and everything
is going swimmingly, except for  IP aliases on my NIC.

Per the install instructions, I edited my /etc/conf.d/net file. The only 2
lines that are uncommented are:

iface_eth0="dhcp"
alias_eth0:0="192.168.0.20"

I then ran

rc-update add net.eth0 default

and then added
depend {
     need  pcmcia
}

to the top of /etc/init.d/net.eth0 just like the install instructions said.
When I rebooted, however, it  tries to load eth0:0 first, and subsequently
fails.  It then brings up eth0 just fine.

Digging into my logs (using metalog and still getting used to it) i find
the following lines:

[cardmgr] executing: './network start eth0'
[cardmgr] + /sbin/runscript.sh: line 19: alias_eth0:0=192.168.0.20:
command not found
[cardmgr] +   [33;01m* [0m WARNING:  "net.eth0" has already been started.
[rc-scripts] WARNING: "net.eth0" has already been started.

Needless to say, i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I would like to have
my  aliases come up at boot rather than having to manually ifconfig them
each time my laptop boots up.  Any help would be much appreciated.

-John