hi!

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 23:01, richard pijnenburg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting the following error when doing the bootstrap with Gcc.
>
> gcc -c -DIN_GCC    -O -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes
..snip....
> /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.2.1-r6/work/gcc-3.2.1/gcc/function.c:7470:
> internal error: Segmentation fault
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
> make[2]: *** [function.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.2.1-r6/work/build/gcc'
> make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.2.1-r6/work/build/gcc'
> make: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2
>
> !!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.2.1-r6 failed.
> !!! Function src_compile, Line 164, Exitcode 2
> !!! (no error message)

> I've tried it 2 time's but with the same error.
Do you get your Segmentation fault always at the same position?

Have you ever compiled such a big thing like gcc or kde on this machine
under gentoo?

How hot is your CPU/Mem/HD,.. ?

When I have to compile gcc, kde,.. on my laptop, I have to open the
cover of the memoryslot, open the window (in the wall of my house) and
place my laptop in front of the window. Don't ask me, what I do in summer.
Also I use only O2 with gcc.

If I don't do this, my HD get's hot (hddtemp said once 59°C) and so
do the memory and I get Segfaults.
If I try a memtest86 after such a Segfault I get a bunch of errors.

But no problems with normal tasks and a memtest86 under normal
circumstances produces no errors.

You should try a memtest86 or something.
I think there's a bootable CD out there with a memtest86 on it.

> Perhaps it's an error in the file??
I don't think so, my 3.2.1-r6 works.

bty I have this problems with a HP Omnibook XE3.

ciao
Joe