I actually ran into this awhile back but hadn't had the chance to look into
it further at the time. But now I've got a fresh box installed and I'm
coming across it again. I plan to run IMAP on this box so I added imap to my
use flags. What I'm noticing though is that when I go to install a package
that can use IMAP (like PHP), it wants to install uw-imap. I haven't yet
decided which IMAP server I want to use, but this seems to force me into
using uw-imap. My options seem to be:

1. Install uw-imap even though I might use another imap server, resulting in
an extra package that I'm not really using taking up space.

2. Remove imap from my USE flags, possibly resulting in reduced
functionality in some programs.

I notice that cyrus-imapd, courier-imap, and uw-imap all provide
virtual/imapd. So I'm assuming that it would be possible to modify the
ebuild file to depend on virtual/imapd instead of uw-imap but then I'd lose
that as soon as I do an emerge sync right? Is there a more permanent way I
can fix this?

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]