On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 17:24, Roger Miliker wrote:
> On Sunday 23 February 2003 16:59, gabor wrote:
> > i installed kde3.1,
> > and basicall kdm starts, but it doesn't allow me to log in.
> >
> > when kdm starts it display this login dialog, where i enter my
> > username+password+windowmanager, and then i press 'go', and it just
> > turns back to the login screen.
> >

> What do you mean by turning back to login screen? 'Login Denied' or does kdm
> restart?

i'm not sure but it seems that kdm restarts or something like that...
welll... the xserver is not restarting..
basicall i press the 'go' button, then the screen blinks once and then
i'm back at kdm... as if kdm started the session but it ended
immediately... something like that

> I had the problem that /lib/security/pam_console.so was missing pam_get_item
> or thelike.
>
> I found a similiar bug filed dor gdm in bugs.gentoo.org and the fix for this
> bug worked.
which one? do you remember the bug-number?

> do : ldd -r /lib/security/pam_console.so and if it says some missing symbol
> then apply the fix:
>
> #echo "/lib/libpam.so" >> /etc/ld.so.preload
thanks for the info... pam_get_item was missing , and i fixed it with
that echo, but it didn't help in the kdm problem :-(

btw. i'm using xdm now and it works ok... so i don't know what the kdm
problem could be.

gabor