:-/ well I found what the problem was... I had to create a link el_GR to point to el
(el_GR was the used in the past but not nowadays), and have all those variables have
the value el_GR instead of el... thank you anyway for your time! For all those still
trying to configure locales in their system, just try 'locale -a' to see which locales
are supported by your system. Maybe your problem is similar to mine :-/