On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 19:55:04 -0500
Daniel Carrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> With a distribution like Gentoo, should I be worried about hardware
> support?  I'm thinking of such thigns as a CDRW, DVD drive, sound,
> video, printer and ethernet card.  How hard will it be to get those
> items working?
>
> I am certainly willing to make sensible hardware choices.  But I don't
>
> want to feel like I have to wrestle the system to get anything done.
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> --
> Daniel Carrera
> Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.
> University of Maryland.  (301) 405-5137

In general I find it quite reasonable.  How I usually figure out if the
hardware I have(or am getting) will work with gentoo I actually go to
either redhat's site or mandrakes(usually mandrakes as I perfer their
search engine).  I then look up compatable hardware because usually what
works on one linix varient works on most.  I suggest you go look up what
you have on mandrake(I'll put the link below).  The odd item hardware
wise despite it's label tends to be built on something else.  I have a
few AOpen nic cards(acer) which actually use the RealTek chipset.  I
have a voodoo 5500 video card in this machine and had an ATI Mach64 in
my other with no problems under gentoo.(tho linux only apprently see's
one of the two 32M on the voodoo 5)  I also have a pioneer dvd, yamaha
cdrw, videoblaster webcam plus, and esoniq sound card on this machine.
My other used a no name cdrom(think it was a mitsuma repackaged), 3com
etherlink III(along with an AOpen nic), ohci usb, and sb16.  The odd
thing it doesn't like or you have to try to figure out which driver
might work for it.  But in general most things should run.  For scanners
tho there is the sane website, for modems there is linmodems website,
and for printers there is also another linux site(forget the name of
that one however).  Those sites may contain new drivers that are perhaps
not yet included in gentoo but fore the most part I find gentoo pretty
reasonable.  :)

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/hardware.php3

--

Susie