I recently converted my home e-mail box to Gentoo (after having loved
using it on my desktop box). I run an SMTP and IMAP server on it and use
fetchmail to pull my e-mail locally and deliver it to SMTP. On my old
linux box, I had fetchmail run as an unprivileged user since (AFAIK) the
only resource it needs is to be able to read the fetchmailrc file.

Given fetchmail's security history, I was a little surprised when I
discovered that Gentoo appears to let fetchmail run (by default) as
root. I don't think this needs to be. I'd like to suggest that this
default be changed so that a compromised fetchmail will do less damage
(and I can probably update the /etc/init.d/fetchmail file and post a
patch). However, I don't know what the best way to run it is.

Would it be better to run fetchmail in some kind chroot jail? If so, how
would you set it up? (I'm not too familiar with making application run
in a chroot jail). If just running as a user is sufficient, what user?
Should there be a dedicated fetchmail user?

Ryan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]