HELP!! - I can no longer compile any apps which use qt!!!!

the ./configure's always fails telling me :

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.1 (20021021)) (library qt-mt)
not found. Please check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
Make sure that you have compiled Qt with thread support!

!!! ERROR: kde-base/arts-1.1.0 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 112, Exitcode 1
!!! died running ./configure, kde_src_compile:configure

always the same error regardless of package (apart from the package name
obviously!)...... :(

now I KNOW that qt3.1.0-r2 is installed okay because I have re-emerged it
succesfully several times, asnd have checked that libqt-mt.so* is in
/usr/qt/3/lib/

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!

and more importantly - how the hell do i fix it?!?!

I've searched the forum and can find no solution to this problem, and well as
trawled my way through the last months worth of mailing list - nothing!

info :- qt = 3.1.0, gcc = 3.2.2

Cheers for any advice,
Joel.