I did "emerge sync && emerge -u world", which eventually wanted to
upgrade gcc. However, the merge failed with:

/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.2.2/temp/fix_libtool_files.sh: line 40: [: too
many arguments
gawk: fatal: can't open source file `portage:' for reading (No such file
or directory)

The upshot is that the system is now GCC-less, and related libs are
non-existent, so for example:

# emerge
python2.2: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot

What's the easiest way for me to fix the system? I assume it's possible
to install a dummy copy of gcc in order to bootstrap emerge, but then
again the GCC install through emerge failed in the first place.

Oh, and:

# cat /etc/gentoo-release
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.2.3

Thanks,