Ed,
What you mentioned seemed to work but i'm still getting this when it dies:

mv: cannot stat `xineplug_inp_mms.so': No such file or directory
libtool-nofpic: install: error: relink `xineplug_inp_mms.la' with the above command before installing it
make[3]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xine-lib-0.9.13-r2/work/xine-lib-0.9.13/src/input'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xine-lib-0.9.13-r2/work/xine-lib-0.9.13/src/input'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xine-lib-0.9.13-r2/work/xine-lib-0.9.13/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

!!! ERROR: media-libs/xine-lib-0.9.13-r2 failed.
!!! Function einstall, Line 278, Exitcode 2
!!! einstall failed

Anyone got an idea???

-Isaac

Ed Zaborowski wrote:

Quoting "Olson, Isaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I'm having some issues trying to get xine-lib compiled....it was working, then i tried to upgrade to the latest beta of xine-lib...that gave me this same error(listed below). Back to 0.9-13-r2 and still getting this error. Everything xine'ish was removed...yet i still get this error...my flags are default except changed to -march=pentium4 if that could be a issue, but shouldn't since that was what i used when it worked.

Thanks a ton in advance!
-Isaac

libtool-nofpic: install: error: cannot install `xineplug_inp_file.la' to a
directory not ending in /usr/lib/xine/plugins

Isaac,
Just last evening I, too had this problem. I don't know why exactly it does this, although I suspect it has something to do with portage sandboxing. I do, however have a work-around for it.

Once it has failed, edit the libtool-nofpic file in the directory with the toplevel Makefile for this ebuild (usually /var/tmp/portage/pkgname/work/pkgname, where pkgname is name of the ebuild). In the libtool-nofpic file, do a search for the word ending, and it should be in something that looks like and if/then statement, and look very similar to your error. Delete the line that says exit 1, after the echo statement, and then save your file.

then do a ebuild /usr/portage/whatever/directory/xine-something.ebuild install qmerge and it should merge the package without problems, however you still probably still see the error, it will be safe to just ignore it.

--Ed

--
Words of the Wise:
"Friends don't let friends use Microsoft products"