> I just finished rebuilding my machine and I repartitioned
> my box so that
> it looks like:
>
> /dev/hda1 = windows xp (ntfs)
> /dev/hda2 = linux swap
> /dev/hda3 = gentoo (ext3)
>
> no, I don't have a separate /boot partition.  Anyway, I followed the
> installation instructions (excellent btw!) and I'm having problems
> getting grub to install on my MBR.  In the grub prompt,
> when I type in
> "root(hd0,0)" it would come back with something like
> "unrecognized file
> type".  After that it's pretty obvious that the
> "setup(hd0,0)" wasn't
> going to work.

I don't think the message "unrecognized file type" is such a show
stopper.  It still can start that partition with the chainloader.  I
had GRUB installed on the MBR, so GRUB booted first, and when
selecting my NT partition it would start the NT boot loader, that
would in turn boot the selected NT configuration.

Not sure if this is much help, but who knows.

Gwendolyn.