Michael Gruenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> after trying for 2 days to get my USB digital camera to work under
> Gentoo I'm giving up. gphoto2 is working fine under Mandrake so I guess
> it's a USB / kernel problem. I've been looking through the forums and
> couldn't find an answer, so any help would be appreciated! Camera is a
> Mustek gSmart mini 2, but I don't think it matters.
>
> OK, here is the gphoto2 debug output:

> lsmod:
> -<snip>-
> uhci                   23760   0  (unused)
> usbcore                54944   1  [uhci]
> -</snip>-

I dont have the same camera as you, but I do have a IBM Netcam which took
me a little while to figure out how to get it working and running
under Linux.

I tried using the uhci modules, but it wouldnt run with just that, so
I had to use usb-uhci. Have you tried using that module?

Here are the contents of my /etc/modules.autoload  :

usb-uhci
usbvideo
videodev
ibmcam

I couldnt get the camera to work by just loading the modules because
I must have loaded the wrong modules or in the wrong order, but the
camera was recognized 100% and works perfectly under gnome-meeting
after restarting the box with the above included in the
modules.autoload file.

I was getting similar errors to the ones you posted within your
email, so maybe you just loaded the wrong modules since my camera
would not work when I just loaded the uhci module alone.

I had to restart a couple of times with different combination of
modules being loaded at startup, and the above combination had devfs
recognize the camera without any problems...

Hope that helps

--
Louis C. Candell