On Saturday 08 March 2003 11:52 am, Nicolas Laplante wrote:
> My /var/log/kern.log contains some binary junk, which I find a bit
> suspect for a log file.

Whoa, man, run fsck on your filesystems NOW.

That log file appears to have pieces of /etc/passwd and /etc/modules.conf
mixed into the middle. Almost certainly filesystem corruption: I'll bet the
filesystem has a few blocks allocated twice to different files or something
equally bad. (If something writes to that log and clobbers /etc/passwd,
you'll be in for an exciting time.)

I would definitely reboot into single-user mode, remount all your filesystems
readonly (mount -o remount,ro /your-fs-mountpoint), and run fsck before
things get worse.

Evan