Hi all,

I have this annoying problem with bash: whenever I tried to autocomplete
a long path, or try to press  the up arrow key to go back to a previous
long command, bash always thinks that my console or Eterm window is less
than 80 columns and wraps around in a way that mess up the screen.

For example, my current term screen is:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] $ ls -l -a /an/extra/long/path/for/example/
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] $ ls -l -a /another/extra/long/path/for/example/
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] $

if I try to press the up arrow key now, the screen will show:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] $ ls -l -a /an/extra/long/path/for/example/
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] $ ls -l -a /another/extra/long/path/for/example/
  path/for/example/$ ls -l -a /another/extra/long/

Location of prompt is at '$' on the thrid line.

As you see, it wraps around at much less than my terminal width and on
the same line.  Whats more, if I press up again, it actually go back to
the previous line:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] $ ls -l -a /an/extra/long/path/for/example/
  r/example/hoven] ls -l -a /an/extra/long/path/fo
  path/for/example/$ ls -l -a /another/extra/long/

Location of promt is at the 1st 'h' in the 2nd line!

Any ideas?  This happens both in console (132x60) and in Eterm (usually
108x55)

Thanks for any suggestions.

/cwng