RTFM ;-)

From the nmap man page:

Unfortunately UDP scanning is  sometimes  painfully  slow  since
most  hosts implement a suggestion in RFC 1812 (section 4.3.2.8)
of limiting the ICMP error message rate.  For example, the Linux
kernel  (in net/ipv4/icmp.h) limits destination unreachable mes-
sage generation to 80 per 4 seconds, with a 1/4  second  penalty
if that is exceeded.  Solaris has much more strict limits (about
2 messages per second) and thus takes even longer to scan.  nmap
detects  this  rate  limiting and slows down accordingly, rather
than flood the network with useless packets that will be ignored
by the target machine.

As  is  typical, Microsoft ignored the suggestion of the RFC and
does not seem to do any rate limiting at all  on  Win95  and  NT
machines.   Thus  we can scan all 65K ports of a Windows machine
very quickly.  Woop!

Norberto BENSA wrote:
Hello,

I have a question not directly related to Gentoo, but Linux in general. When I do 'nmap -sU host,' and host is a Windows box, I get a quick reply. But, if host is a Linux box, scanning the same 1600 UDP ports takes up to 25min. Why?

BTW, I'm port scanning my own home network.

Thanks,
Norberto