-- Adrian Head <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake thusly:

> I currently have a very old - but hardened RedHat machine as my
> firewall/NAT/proxy/VPN machine.
>
> I've been looking at replacing it with a Gentoo machine for quite a
> while;  however, whats stopping me is the fact that to keep things
> up-to-date you  either have to have gcc on the firewall! or go the
> precompiled binary package  route.

You could, presumably, also use distcc and have most of the compilation
work offloaded to (an)other system(s). Sure it'd take longer to
compile, but probably not nearly as much longer as without it.

Another option would be to build packages using another system in an
alternate root and then install them on the router. The trouble with
this is that as far as I can tell, emerge doesn't give the option to
build a package without installing it. Perhaps it would work to simply
nfs-mount (using nosquashroot, which probably isn't a big deal if that
option's only available to a single IP) the entire router's filesystem
and emerge using that root from the server.