Hopefully when I go into work in the morning the emerge system
command will be finshed and I can start stage 3 ;-). However with the
extra time I have started worrying over which kernel option to
'ebuild'.

Basically I am building a bandwidth router that will use HTB (version
3), tc with HTB support, and iptables. From what I am led to believe
kernel version [2.4.20+, without patches] will have this option.
http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/

My question -- Does the gentoo-sources kernel option have that option
or should I use the vanilla kernel?

If you have not guessed by now this is my first attempt at a Gentoo
install. The install document is great. My only suggestion would be
to add a link to
http://www.freehackers.org/gentoo/gccflags/flag_gcc3.html in the
setting Gentoo Optimizations section. Thankfully I lurked on this
mailing list long enough to: a.)build my courage and b.) see that
link posted.

The reason I am trying Gentoo is because I am sick and tired of the
bloated distro I was/am using. (Mandrake) its great for starting but
hell to claim control of your own box.

Please keep up the good work, and maybe one of these days I will
become proficient enough to help.

Thanks
James