Xabier Ochotorena wrote:

>> Are your sure the numbers are in the same unit? On a 11 Mbit/s wlan a
>> transfer rate of 500 Kbyte/s is quite reasonable...
>>
>> I get about 500 Kbyte/s on my wlan, which triggered my question.
>
> On my 10 Mbit/s ethernet lan I get 1.1 Mbyte/s easily, obtaining less than
> half of it in a theorically faster net doesn't sound reasonable to me.

Do you have WEP enabled? The encryption will roughly halve your throughput,
as will using SSH tunnels.

Since WEP is pointless anyway, turn it off and then use SSH to encrypt stuff
that needs it (http, ssl (doesn't hurt to make sure), telnet/ftp
(critical!), pop3, smtp, imap) and leave protocols transfering nothing very
vauable or hard to sniff (games, VoIP) or already encrypted well stuff
(sftp) out in the wild.

--
Lightspeed - the less fattening alternative to fullspeed.
8:57:56  up 28 days, 20:21,  2 users,  load average: 1.63, 1.52, 1.46