This is with `gpm-1.20.0-r5', `screen-3.9.13-r4', and `mc-4.6.0'.

gpm is running, and it isn't working at the console with any of the apps
that are supposed to support it (and have been compiled to do so).
Simple copy-and-paste at the console works, but not special support in
any of apps that are supposed to support gpm:  mc, giFTcurs, vim...

Whenever running Midnight Commander (mc) inside of screen, at the
console or inside an X terminal, it (or gpm?) prints an error message
though otherwise running normally.  The way that the error message
overlaps the screen, it is mostly unreadable.  I've found that mc's
stderr can be redirected (mc 2> mc.err) to a file where the error
message will be captured.  The text of the message follows:

=== ERROR ===: [/var/tmp/portage/gpm-1.20.0-r5/work/gpm-1.20.0/src/liblow.c(261)]:
strncmp/isdigit/consolename failed

If mc is merged without gpm support (USE="-gpm"), the error doesn't
occurs.  But that certainly isn't an acceptable solution; I want mc with
gpm support.

If I start mc inside an X terminal with the options either `--xterm' or
`--nomouse', the error doesn't occur.

Also, the mouse no longer works with mc inside an X terminal whether the
option `--xterm' is used.  Clicking the first mouse button inside of mc,
generates a string of characters like these "kR#kR" on the command-line.
The characters are different depending on what area has been click.

Another strange twist is that mouse support inside an X terminal works
if mc is merged with slang support (USE="slang").  I normally merge it
without slang support and with ncurses support.  Again, this is really a
kluge; mc is supposed to work properly with ncurses.

I know that this is a bug and plan to report, but I'm not yet certain
what is the cause of the problems I'm experiencing.  gpm seems a likely
candidate.  As one can see, there is certainly a strange mix
circumstances.

I thought that I'd I just throw this out here in case someone had some
insights.  Thanks.