My understanding of it from running into where I had to use sync vs
rsync(new portage that unmaked when it shouldn't of at the time).  Is
they are the same.  Sync is the new command and rsync the old.  Here is
what the man page says:

 rsync  See sync below.

 sync   Initiates a portage tree update with one of the rsync.gentoo.org
              mirrors.   Note  that  any  changes you have made to the
portage
              tree will be erased.  Except for in special circumstances,
 this
              uses  rsync  to  do  the  update. See make.conf's
description of
              PORTDIR_OVERLAY for a method to avoid deletions.

When I'd got the newish portage one time it complained I'd used "rsync"
and told me it was an outdated command and I should use "sync" instead.
Then later that portage was masked.  When it was re released it allowed
the rsync without complaint.  So I think you can use either or.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 07:55:02 +0100
Renat Golubchyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is there a difference between 'emerge sync' and 'emerge rsync' ?
>

> Regards,
>   Renat

Susie
VE7 HFA