On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:44:26 +0000
Andy Arbon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Using that kind of information a user can make informed decisions
> about what to remove if space is getting tight.

qpkg can give info on several things.  From the man page:

qpkg [options] [pkgname] [-g group]
     [-f <file>|-fp <pattern>]

qpkg --dups    [--slot]

-d, --dups          print packages that have multiple versions installed
-s, --slot          make -d SLOT only print dups of the same SLOT
-I, --installed     Include only installed packages
-g, --group         Find by group (can be combined with other searches)
-l, --list          List package content
 -i, --info          Get package description and home page.
-q, --query-deps    display all installed packages
                           depending on selected packages

EXAMPLES
qpkg                print list of packages
qpkg --dups -v..    with versions

qpkg -f /bin/ls     print package(s) that own /bin/ls

There is however another package for cleaning out things:  dep-clean

>From it's man page:

dep-clean - Shows unrequired packages and missing dependencies.

-N, --needed  Display needed packages that are not installed. (red)
(default)
-U, --unneeded  Display unneeded packages that are installed. (green)
(default)
-I, --interactive  Interactively modify world file before proceeding.

To clean my system I typically use "emerge -p depclean" then "qpkg -q
<package name" and finally "dep-clean -UV"  To basically check
drive/partition space I simply use kdf tho it doesn't tell me exactly
what is using up the space.

--

Susie
VE7 HFA