Help!

I'm trying to install Gentoo on a Sony Vaio laptop (Z505S) and having
troubles.  The PCMCIA card CDROM is difficult to access, but the Gentoo
instructions say to use:
rescue ide2=0x180,0x386

Well, the 1.4 CDs have no "rescue" kernel.  So I went looking and found a
1.2 iso image to burn.  But when I do boot it with this method I can't find
the CDROM after boot, so I configured the networking and download the
1.4_rc3 stage 1 tarball.  Next step is to untar it with:
tar -xvjpf /stage1-x86-1.4_rc3.tar.bz2

It gets partway through the libraries and says:
bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
        perhaps it is corrupted?  *Possible* reason follows.
bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
        Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed files(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive

Well, that is interesting.  I've downloaded this tarball three times (same
size each time -- 11044) and gotten the same error every time I try to untar
it.

So, says I, I'll try stage two.  Downloaded it, used the same tar command:
tar -xvjpf /stage2-x86-1.4_rc3.tar.bz2

bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
tar: Child returned status 2

Hmm.  So here I sit, thinking that it is ridiculous to assume that anyone
changed the "tar" or "bzip2" programs between revs 1.2 and 1.4.  So it
couldn't be *that*.  One assumes there would be a huge hew and cry if the
tarballs at:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/release/1.4_rc3/x86
/x86/stages/ were bad.  So I might have heard something about that.  What
can it be?!?

Could anyone enlighten me?

Thanks for any help you can lend.

In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,