I cannot remember if WPrefs shows an icon when it is run. If it does you
just have to drag it to your dock bar. If it doesn't then you have to
do some file tweaking. The file that has to be restored is WMState.
There are two ways to do that. One is to logout from wmaker, login from
the console and move the GNUstep folder. The next time that you will
login to wmaker it will automatically create all the needed files. Then
keep a copy of WMState somewhere in your account(not in GNUstep) and
logout again from wmaker. Again from console rm the newly created
GNUstep, move back your old folder and put the new WMState file instead
of yours. Now the icon should be back.
The second way is to logout from wmaker and try to edit by hand the
WMState file. Be sure that you have logged out of wmaker because the
file is overwritten at every logout with the options that wmaker has
in the memory! You should have in WMState in the Applications a section
like this:

      {
        Command = "/opt/wmaker/GNUstep/Apps/WPrefs.app/WPrefs";
        Name = groupLeader.WPrefs;
        AutoLaunch = No;
        Forced = No;
        BuggyApplication = No;
        Position = "0,2";
        DropCommand = "/opt/wmaker/GNUstep/Apps/WPrefs.app/WPrefs %d";
      },

with the appropriate paths of course. Good luck!
By the way this was one of the reasons that drove me away of wmaker in
the first place. A lack of an easy way to put any kind of icons and
applications in the dock bar. :-/