Ok all my fonts when making logos etc look ick.  I take it it is from
openbox not being compiled with xft.  I read the ebuild for the latest
stable version and found the comment curious:

*openbox-2.2.3 (02 Jan 2003)

  02 Jan 2003; Matt Keadle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> openbox-2.2.3.ebuild
  files/digest-openbox-2.2.3

  Bump to latest version. 2.2.3 takes the 2.2.x series out of testing
  to make room for the 3.x branch. This release has officially been
  declared stable, and has been moved into unmasked x86 territory.

However in the ebuild for 2.2.3 it is masked for x86.  The version I
have installed is 2.1.3-r4.  So I've unmasked 2.2.3 and will install
that.  I was wondering has anyone tried 2.3.0?  I'm using a 1GHz T-bird
and do see it is also masked for x86 but considered pretty much stable
but depends on Xft2.

Off I go now to compile the newer version of commonbox with hopes it
will fix my font appearance weirdness.