Patrick,
I have nearly this same issue and though I don't run services on my
laptaop, this is what I do:

1) I let hotplug worry about the PCMCIA card.
2) I leave net out of the default runlevel
3) If I'm using eth0, I just /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start

The problem is really those services that depend on net...
Could it be possible to not run those services? That would be my first
suggestion.
I'm currently investigation hotplug for wired eth, though I'm not sure
it is possible, I'm told that Mandrake may have somthing like this.

I'm sure this quick little note didn't help directly, but hopefully it
will catalyze further discussion on an issue that I'm quite sure affects
more than you and me.

Good Luck,
Lee