On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 02:19:01PM +1100, Mark Saunders wrote:
> Which is the best supported IDE RAID chipset?
>
> I'm after a motherboard with onboard IDE RAID support.
>
> I gave up on an ASUS A7V8X with a Promise Fasttrack onboard IDE RAID
> controller.

I'm certainly no expert here, but I have been snooping around a bit
for Linux and IDE RAID information.

If I understand the situation correctly, there are very few "true"
hardware IDE RAID controllers supported by Linux.  (I believe that one
company offering these is 3ware).  But these are REALLY expensive.
>From what I gather, most of the "commodity" IDE RAID boards (Promise,
HighPoint) are not hardware RAID; they rely on drivers (read:
software) to do much of the RAID work.  With this in mind, it appears
your time would be better spent simply using the Linux md (multi-disk)
functionality for software-level RAID (without needing any special
hardware).  Unless you have lots of money and can't afford to give up
a tiny percetage of your CPU power, Linux md is the way to go.

Someone please correct me if any of this info is inaccurate!

With this in mind, however, what ARE the good "RAID" motherboards (for
the extra IDE channels) or good add-on IDE PCI controllers?  By "good"
I mean having mature, stable Linux drivers?

Matt

--
Matt Garman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
``I ain't never seen no whiskey, the blues made my sloppy drunk!''