Tom Nicholson wrote:
Can anyone suggest why my sound doesn't work or where to look for further clues?

I've built a gentoo box from older parts to learn with. I wanted just
command line stuff to study servers like apache, proftp, samba, etc.
so no gui. I remembered there's a sound card in the system and I can't figure out how to make it work. I enabled sound support and the
soundcore.o and driver are built into the kernel (rather than as modules). See snippet below from .conf file.

I believe for alsa you DO NOT build the sound drivers in the kernel, they should be modules that Alsa builds you when you install Alsa. I quit using alsa a while back though, the struggle was more than it was worth, sometimes.

I would recommend that you look at the part of the Alsa install
directions concerning kernel/module requirements.

--
"To announce there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are
to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and