On Friday 28 March 2003 07:48, Rafael 'Dido' Sevilla wrote:
> Frankly, I think LFS is a good thing to try if you have spare time and
> want to understand how Linux works in great detail: there's nothing that
> can teach you that so well as actually building it up from scratch.
> This is something everyone serious about Linux should do at least once
> in their lives, I believe.  However, I imagine it would be a nightmare
> to administer such a system in actual deployment as a server.  It would
> be an absolute bitch to maintain, keep up to date with security patches,
> and upgrade.  That's where Gentoo and Portage come in.

I agree with you. I ran LFS for a short while before I knew about gentoo. It
is a good way to learn how all core linux components fit together, but
besides that, it is a nightmare to maintain. It's worse than windows without
uninstallers. That should say enough. For that reason I actually used rpm for
package management of my own LFS packages. I can tell you from personal
experience that making rpm packages is an overly complicated and slow
process. Especially when looking at the simplicity and power of
portage/ebuilds.

Before I ran LFS I used to run something that somewhat resembled redhat 6.0. I
did update too much of it though. At the time I went over to LFS is was
unmanageable too as I had hand-installed so much that I got all kinds of
dependency based compile problems.

I believe gentoo offers something that is halfway between LFS and RH. It
offers the sane choices, high speed and configurability of LFS, and it offers
the package management and dependencies of RH. It actually offers a
package/dependency system that surpasses rpm by far. One factor in this is
the editability of ebuilds and of the package repository that is just a dir
with text files in it.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze