Arun Bhanu said:
> Hi,
>
> When I do a emerge system I get the following output(attached at the end
> of the mail). Notice that vim-6.1 appears in the update of system. As
> far as I know, vim is not part of system.  Then why is it showing up in
> the system update.

Vim will upgrade only if you have it installed.  Verify by emerge -s vim.
Otherwise a deep upgrade will install things only if they are dependencies
of another package.

> The other question is that when I do a emerge world nano shows up in the
> list. nano does not show up in the system list but shows up in the world
> list of files to update. When I looked in /etc/make.profile./packages
> there is an entry of virtual/editor which is pointing to nano. I thought
> nano should be shown in the system list of files to update.

Nano is set as the system's default editor just like grub is set as the
system's default bootloader.  To verify check /var/cache/edb/virtuals.
This can be modified to your liking.