It is obvious you have never built any of these packages by hand.
Almost all OSS packages today use the GNU configure scripts to configure
them for building on a BUNCH of difference platforms. Linux being just
one. These scripts build the actual makefiles that are used to compile
the package on the fly.

All gentoo's ebuild system does really is put a bunch of wrappers around
the standard build scripts that each package uses.  To do what you ask
would require that the EVERY package (or most), to be modified to check
a system database of available functions.  No such database exists, on
all unices, and if it did using it would not be as reliable as actually
testing to see if the required function is available.  I would not
expect this to change. It works amazingly well across an amazing large
set of platforms, and frankly, is once of the great "portability"
achievements of the FSF.

Lincoln