> > > hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-2, assigned address 5
> > > usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
> > > usb.c: USB device not responding, giving up (error=-110)
> > > hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-2, assigned address 6
> > > usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=6 (error=-110)
>
> IIRC you need the SCSI modules available.  Do you?

Yes I do.  This is an intermittent problem, so I do now it works OK at
least some of the times...

It seems that my newly compiled vanilla 2.4.20 is doing much better.
The above problem happened on 2.4.19.  I also started using an ext3
partition on the USB harddisk, and that seems to be much more robust
when things go wrong.  I have lost a large directory tree on that disk
that was in fat32.  The driver did warn me: 'Data integrity not
guaranteed' (dmesg).  Now I am a believer...

Gwendolyn.