begin  quote
On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 18:17:56 +0100 (BST)
"Dhruba Bandopadhyay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-2.2.1.ebuild on line 22 it
> says:
>
> # Metacity was choosen as the default window manager because of
> # sawfish's
> long time of non-working state.
>
> and on lines 93-95 it says:
>
> "note that to change windowmanager to metacity do: "
> " export WINDOW_MANAGER=\"/usr/bin/metacity\""
> "of course this works for all other window managers as well"
>
> Is this a contradiction?  If metacity has been chosen as default
> window manager then why does it need to set again as default?

you dont need to, that is an example, earlier we had sawfish as
default, but because the snapshots didn't turn stable, and metacity
stabilized further it got merged as default, but the comment is still
there and works nicely as a describing part of how to change it.

>  I was thinking of trying out Gnome 2.2.1 and since I don't use Gnome
> much which window manager would you recommend that I should go with?

Metacity or OpenBox are my suggestions

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!