* Seth Zirin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [31-03-2003 16:59]:
> On a system with a current sync of portage, I get the following error
> during an 'emerge php':
>

>       checking whether to enable pcntl support... yes
>       checking for fork... no
>       configure: error: pcntl: fork() not supported by this platform
>
>       !!! ERROR: dev-php/php-4.3.1 failed.
>       !!! Function econf, Line 273, Exitcode 1
>       !!! econf failed
>

> Is there a quick easy solution, or do I need to debug this myself?

Sure, there's an easy solution. It's called by some implementations of
the Java.
I solved it at home by using a simple

USE="-java" emerge dev-php/php

Try it out, if you don't need java support in php. If you do need, check
the archives.. it has been discussed a few weeks ago.

--
Bruno Lustosa, aka Lofofora          | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network Administrator/Web Programmer | ICQ UIN: 1406477