I believe the problem is that those versions of jave are not compiled
with gcc-3.2 or greater. Try installing a version of java that has been
compiled on your computer with your copy of gcc. There is java sources
for both blackdown and sun in portage, you will need to turn on "~x86"
in order to access them though. Check the forums, this has been discused
a lot.

-- alex

ps. It take a long long time to compile java.