Hi Adam,

Nachricht vom Mittwoch, 2. April 2003, 08:31:37:

>> | I was just wondering about the state of support for Serial ATA in Linux
>> | at the moment. I'm looking at a board with a Serial ATA controller on,
>> | will be be supported?
>>
>> You can be 100% sure, that it will be supported, Serial ATA is the next
>> generation IDE standard, which will take over the current IDE standard
>> fairly quick, imo.
>>
>> The 2.5.xx kernel series has already some (maybe experimental) support
>> for it, AFAIK. Correct me, if I was wrong, please :)

> So its not supported at the moment in the 2.4.x series? Can anyone
> confirm this?

AFAIK there is no difference in protocol between serial and parallel
ata, its just a matter of cable format (there are adaptors).
The only problem is support for chipsets that support serial ata, but
thats the same problem as with parallel ata and ata-raid.

 Timo