Pretty much.  Lilo can do a trick to make the OS see the primary as the
secondary and the secondary as the primary, so if your windows doesn't
like being on anything but the primary master, you can install it to any
drive and through grub (or lilo as well I'm sure) fake it out.

So yea, you can swap drives temporarily, install windows wherever it
wants, then swap back, boot up to linux, edit the grub.conf, and off you
go!

.From info grub:

 - Command: map to_drive from_drive
     Map the drive FROM_DRIVE to the drive TO_DRIVE. This is necessary
     when you chain-load some operating systems, such as DOS, if such
     an OS resides at a non-first drive. Here is an example:

          grub> map (hd0) (hd1)
          grub> map (hd1) (hd0)
     The example exchanges the order between the first hard disk and the
              second hard disk. See also *Note DOS/Windows::.

alan

Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net