Tom Wesley wrote:
Greetings List,

I just downloaded and am trying to install gentoo.  Everything goes fine
until I try to build the kernel.  I am using the gentoo-sources kernel.
 I am using the install instructions from the web site.  The kernel
goes along fine for a while then stops with something like the following
message.

file not found net/netsyms.o

I check the /usr/local/linux/net directory and there is no file there by
that name.  So the object file is not being generated, but can anyone
tell me why it's not and what to do about it.

TIA
Warren

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list

I had problems compiling two of the netfilter options, realm and stealth matching. I just disabled them and all is well.

I finally got it to work. I'm not sure where the problem was. The first time I tried I hadn't selected my network card in menu makeconfig. When I went back and did select it I still had the same problem. So I started over from scratch, made sure I had my network card selected the first time and didn't enable netfilter at all - I figured I could recompile the kernel later if I needed it. This is a laptop and usually behind a firewall so iptables isn't that important.

Thanks for the help
Warren