After getting sound working on my console-only, 4 gig server box I
became dissatisfied with mpg123 when I couldn't pause it interactively.
So I found mp3blaster on the net. So where's the problem? well, I had to
install 'by hand' (./configure make make install) instead of using emerge
and being new to Gentoo I'm curious about the issues involved.

Main issue being-- why the ebuild for mp3blaster wanted to install x11
stuff which I don't have room for?

The mp3blaster is designed from getgo for console use, so I read, and
uses ncurses so why all the x-base and font stuff? Is this a fault of the
ebuild or the portage or me?

See references below. It's true that I installed mp3blaster 3.1.3 and
emerge wanted to install 3.1.1 but I don't think that accounts for all the
xfree stuff it wanted to insert. And I thought emerge was supposed to get
us the most uptodate versions? And yes, I LIKE Gentoo very much so
this is honest wanting to know from a new-bee, not criticism.
Tom
___________________
Searching...
[ Results for search key : mp3blaster ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  media-sound/mp3blaster
      Latest version available: 3.1.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 279 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.stack.nl/~brama/mp3blaster/

Calculating dependencies    ...done!
[ebuild  N   ] media-libs/freetype-2.1.3-r2
[ebuild  N   ] x11-misc/ttmkfdir-3.0.9
[ebuild  N   ] app-arch/cabextract-0.6
[ebuild  N   ] media-libs/fontconfig-2.1
[ebuild  N   ] x11-base/opengl-update-1.5
[ebuild  N   ] x11-base/xfree-4.2.1-r2
[ebuild  N   ] media-libs/nas-1.5
[ebuild  N   ] media-libs/libogg-1.0
[ebuild  N   ] media-libs/libvorbis-1.0-r2
[ebuild  N   ] media-sound/mp3blaster-3.1.1